Reasons not to buy from Windows 8 Video store
- …or the ‘XBOX’ store since MS can’t seem to differentiate between the technologies – although the support is different. You will have your account history in the XBOX online store but try to get support from there, and you won’t, because they aren’t trained or capable of dealing with purchases made through Windows 8’s Video store. To get support, you’ll need to go in through http://commerce.microsoft.com despite your cues in Windows – this link comes straight from the purchase email and is mentioned nowhere else.
- Purchased content will ONLY play through the Windows 8 Video app (or supposedly through an XBOX which I don’t have) – thanks to the new DRM you won’t even be able to play the same purchased content through Windows Media Center (which is now a legacy app) or Windows 8’s own Media Player (yes, even on the same PC.) In fact, the Windows 8 “Play To” function won’t play the item on any of your home media devices either (e.g. WD TV Live streaming or hub) as it is an ‘unsupported device’ — what is? XBOX…(I think, I don’t have one to test.)
- So if you’ve changed your default file type for playing media to the Media Center, Media Player, or (as it goes without saying) any 3rd party app, you’ll need to right click > open with > Video. Sorry, can’t watch it in desktop mode it’s Metro or bust.
- This one is personal. I purchased The Walking Dead season 3 SEASON PASS for about $45 in HD back in October. (What good is HD really, considering reason #2…) Great. I have episodes 1-8 however today in trying to download episode 9, it’s telling me I must pay for it again! One chat session and two phone calls with Microsoft later, they can’t fix the problem so they refund me the original purchase price and tell me to purchase it again. Assuming I will get my refund, I try to re-purchase the season pass, however the Video store tells me I have already purchased and cannot do so again. I was however able to purchase the latest episode by itself – which it obviously doesn’t recognize as part of the ‘season pass’ …
- A bit of good news is The Walking Dead is now on sale (even though I couldn’t re-purchase the season pass and have to do it one episode at a time.) But this has nothing to do with M$…
- The other good news is that as I type this I just received my refund confirmation for the original season pass (this is within half an hour of my last call to M$.)
- Not positive, but I’m kind of expecting my already purchased content (episodes 1-8) to not be playable once the refund gets processed.
Thankfully my wife has decided we’re getting cable TV again even if it is only for this one show…
M$ = FAIL