Google Chrome only opens in Metro on Windows 8. Reinstall fixed it, but I hate doing that. Do you have a real FIX?
I can’t be the only one… Windows 8 Pro, fully updated. Chrome Version 28.0.1500.72 m
One day Chrome just decides to start opening in Metro on my main rig. Here is the sequence of events:
- Power outage, bad UPS, you get the picture – Chrome v27 was running at the time, in desktop mode of course.
- Power came back on, Windows 8 loads – says it is installing Windows updates.
- Get back into Windows and launch Chrome. It is now launching only in METRO ONLY. Note version has upgraded to v28 – the Chrome update must have been queued and waiting for a relaunch to install.
- Chrome Options > Relaunch Chrome in Desktop Mode still launches Chrome in METRO ONLY. When it does relaunch however, it opens a new tab that says –force-desktop was not found.
- Launching Chrome manually with the –force-desktop parameter produces same result.
- Chrome was originally installed using the installer for all users.
- Issue occurs on ALL user accounts.
- I have another Win8 PC , same setup (fully updated, Chrome v28, etc.) which does NOT exhibit the behavior…
Workaround (which sucks)
- Right click Chrome shortcut, select Run as Administrator. It will launch in Desktop mode.
- While possible to simply modify the shortcut to always Run as Administrator, the problem with this approach is that other applications which were NOT ran as Administrator will fail to open links in Chrome while it is running as Administrator. Sometimes with an error (don’t recall exactly, I’m not getting it at the moment) and other times (which is occurring atm) Chrome will display the METRO splash screen and then it disappears and dumps you on the start screen, and Desktop Chrome doesn’t ever receive the web link to open.
What I tried:
- Deleting DelegateExecute values for Chrome under HKCRChrome and HKCRChromeHTML as suggested for similar issue elsewhere (issue of Chrome never opening in Metro) – no change.
- Ensuring no values are under HKCUSoftwareGoogleChromeMetro (I believe that suggetion was to fix same issue in Chrome v23) – no change.
- Altering Chrome shortcut to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode – no change.
- Throwing a fit like a little child – no change.
Finally break down and re-install Chrome. Fixed.
- Performed standard uninstall, no registry “cleaners” or any junk like that, also chose NOT to delete browsing data when prompted.
Why I didn’t try that first??!? I’m a TECH, I want to fix things 99% of the time, not reinstall them. If YOU have a fix for this behavior (should I or anyone else who reads this blog experience it again) I’d love to hear it.
UPDATE: After reboot (which I don’t tend to do very often) the issue as re-occurred!!! WTF!!! Now I really need a fix!