D7 & TechUSB – A new partnership and merging of tools.
Foolish IT, LLC is partnering with RepairTech, Inc. to bring PC technicians the penultimate technician’s tool.
TechUSB from RepairTech, Inc. is a Linux based USB boot tool providing the following functions:
- Performs hard drive and memory diagnostics using popular open source tools for Linux (BadBlocks, a SMART check, etc.)
- File system checks and repairs (like Windows’ chkdsk, but using an open source Linux utility)
- Some limited support for anti-virus scans using free software tools for Linux (e.g. ClamAV, etc.)
- Gathers some system information, and creates a simple report upon completion
TechUSB will also be accompanied by an online portal, with these additional features:
- A dashboard with TechUSB usage details and the TechUSB generated report
- A searchable knowledgebase and support forums for customers
- Tech news reprinted from other popular PC tech related websites/resources
TechUSB is currently in BETA and can be downloaded via their website.
One thing that TechUSB lacks is a Windows based tool to complement it’s functionality. That is where D7 fits in and to put it simply: TechUSB + D7 = TechUSB Pro
TechUSB Pro will include the full unrestricted D7 product with all premium features, and some new features thrown in to complement TechUSB and the online TechUSB Portal.
Should you decide that TechUSB isn’t for you, then let it be known that this partnership will in no way change your experience with D7. D7 will continue to be available as a free application and will continue to offer premium features via optional registration.
TechUSB Pro (with D7 included) is not yet available, but expect it to be available on or around August 31st, 2012. In the mean time, feel free to participate in the TechUSB BETA currently underway, and test out the product.